9.14.2005

my first school えんかい(enkai)

This particular post covers Aug. 24, 2005.

After my first few days of classes, I had my first えんかい(enkai), which simply means a party. I was pretty excited about this event, and I was not disappointed in the least. Now, the traditional Japanese えんかい(enkai) occurs a bit different than most parties, as I shall explain.

Now, usually every Wed. we have a meeting after classes are done in the office. All of it is in Japanese, but nonetheless I sit there and listen, and usually do some work on the computer. The meeting started at 3:30 and ended at around 4:45. After which, I went home, took a shower, and got changed. I arrived back at school at 5:30, to check my email and stuff before the party was to begin at 6:00. At around 5:50, my Japanese teacher told me that I needed to give a speech at the opening of the party. I thought to myself, ok, that is do able, but then he added one slight caveat: it needed to be in Japanese. While I had given my intoductin in Japanese, I had an idea what I would say, but I did not know how to say it. I told him this, and so we got on the computer and he translated my English in Japanese. So all is well.

At 6:00 on the dot, everyone assembled at the party. The actual location was on the school grounds in a little building that sits off center in the middle courtyard. During school, this building is used for counseling and such, but it also serves as the teachers’ party house, which is quite cool. I don't think you would ever have such a place at any of the public schools I went to. So then the party began. First, Mr. Yamanagishi served as the Master of Ceremonies, first introducing the vice principal, and then the principal. First the principal gave his speech, all in English, which welcomed me to the school. I felt honored and really happy that he had taken the time to write and give this speech (If I can find the text of this speech, I will post it). And then it was my turn. While the principal had probably spent a significant amount of time and effort into his speech, I had spent all but 10 mins. Although I spoke a little slow Japanese, I believe that all of the teachers understood what I was saying, so I was pleased. Although I don't have the translation, here is the speech that I gave:

ここにきて、1かげつ、しかたっていませんが、みなさんが、わたしを、うけいれてくれて、なんねんも、いるような、かんじがします。みなさん、とても、ナイスで、かんたんな、えいごや、にほんごで、こみゅにけーしょんができそうです。よろしく おねがいします。

So then the party began, and it was a really good time. The food was really good, a huge variety of dishes. And of course there was also a bit of alcohol, which included ベール(Beer), さけ(sake), and しょちゅ(shochu), which is a type of Japanese disstled liqur. Everyone was eating and drinking and having a good time, until it was a few minutes before 8:00. All of the sudden, all the teachers got up, and then went to the health center and turned on the TV. At first I was a bit confused and perplexed, but then I understood what was happening.

Well it seems that there is a Japanese show on TV that goes around to small villages all over the country to talk to the residents and explore what the town had to offer. After seeing this show, it reminded me of across Indiana, except with a weird Japanese kind of humor that I have yet to understand. I digress. The reason all the teachers wanted to see the show is that on this episode, there were coming to さかきたむら(Sakakita Village), which is the town that I live in and one of the two towns that make up the Junior High School. So, for a half hour, we watched the program and it was a great time. After which, we went back to the party, had more food and drink, and also had a great time. Cheers.

No comments: