1.31.2006

nikon d70s

As I mentioned, I bought a new camera here in Japan: the Nikon D70s. It is an amazing camera. This is not only my first SLR camera, but it is also my first DSLR(Digital SLR). SLR stands for "single light reflex" and deals with the ability of the image coming into the lens to be reflected 3 times, I believe, directly into the view finder. Not sure of all the details, but I know that it is a good thing.
So I have always wanted to have a cool camera, and now I do. However, using this new camera is a learning experience every time I take a picture. There are quite a few, by which a mean a thousand, options to adjust the camera before taking a picture. Compound that with all the post-production possibilities and almost anything is possible.
Below are a few pictures of the camera. In addition to the body, I also purchases two lenses: a 28-80mm Nikkor DX and a 55-200mm Nikkor DX (Nikkor is the name of the Nikon branded lenses; DX refers to the fact that the lenses are CPU controlled. A CPU lens can send information about aperture, zoom, etc to the camera body, which then stores it in the meta-data for the picture.)


Oh yeah, I should mention something that I read on dpreview.com (an excellent digital photography website). Konica Minolta will no longer be making DSLR cameras under their name. They plan to sell all their assets to Sony Corp. From a Konica Minolta press release: "In photo business, represented by the silver-halide photography such as color film and color paper, we have produced Japan̢۪s first photographic paper in 1903, and Japan̢۪s first color film in 1940, thus pioneering joy of photography for more than a century. In 1984, we introduced the world̢۪s first compact washless photofinishing system known as a minilab system. The minilabs contributed to the expansion of worldwide photographic market by making photos closer to consumers and amazingly shortening delivery time." It is just too bad.

slater

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SLRs use mirrors to reflect the image through the lens into the viewfinder.

The reason that SLRs are the best is because the photo you take is exactly what you are looking at.

Non-SLRs have a straight through viewfinder meaning you have to compensate for the fact that the image you will snap is actually below the view finder.